CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, March 21, 2010

She's falling down the rabbit hole....

It's about time I updated you on the Hattie saga.  After we made up, she met a new guy through her friend Sherrie's brother.  Things started looking up for her, she was happy for the first time in ages.  Then in the new year, Hattie was out with Sherrie, and in their drunkardness, ended up in a huge fight, that turned to fisticuffs.  Sherrie walloped Hattie in the mouth, ripping half her gums away from a tooth.  Sherrie now refuses to have anything to do with Hattie, so her brother Liam stopped talking to her, and her boyf was stuck in the middle because of his friendship with Sherrie's brother.  Still following?

The boyf then sort of dumped Hattie (just before Valentines) and her birthday was coming up, and Hattie started spiralling out of control again.  She is an alcoholic and is also on antidepressants, hence these mood swings and paranoia.

Leading up to her birthday (a coupld of weeks ago) Hattie went on a bender, getting very drunk and crying.  Sherrie and her brother were going on holiday on her actual birthday.  Of course she believes they organised this on purpose.  It used to be Sherrie and Hattie going on holiday together this time of year.

The Wednesday night before her birthday, I was working in the Duck and Hattie was there when I arrived, very drunk.  A woman came into the pub with a friend, and Hattie informed me it was the 'black bitch' that she got into a fight with a few years ago in the local supermarket, who had pressed charges against Hattie.

This woman was just with a friend enjoying a quiet drink, while Hattie was telling anybody who listened the injustice this woman caused her.  I was watching Hattie like a hawk, not wanting any trouble to kick off.  She was getting louder and louder, telling crass jokes to the people she was with.  Even one of them said she had gone too far with one of the jokes.

I bumped into the woman in the toilet and she said to me 'that woman at the bar is a dick and she's telling racist jokes just to wind me up.  I would really like to tell her what for.'

This woman doesn't know I know Hattie and the history between them and I don't want her to know I know.  'She's drunk, please just ignore her, I don't want any trouble.'  The woman agreed and went back to her table.

Hattie then annoys some other punters in the pub, one of them is good friends with Sally, the owner.  He was with a business colleage and he played along with Hattie, but was rolling his eyes at me.  She was chatting to his colleage who was from Austria visiting.  He ended up leaving, forgetting to pay his bill, to get away from Hattie.

It came to closing time, and the woman and her friend had pre-ordered their drinks as paid on credit card, so were staying till the bitter end.  Hattie was finally leaving with another alcoholic friend. I was relieved to see her leave and was took the pre ordered drinks to the table of the woman and said Hattie had left.  As I returned to the bar, Hattie came bowling back in demanding to know why I had taken the drinks over to them!  I told Hattie just to go home now, which she did.  In her paranoia mind, she thought they wouldn't go to the bar to order because she was standing there.

It was Hattie's birthday the following Monday, and myself and Claire had organised a little surprise party for her at the pub as I was working. Hattie was thinking she was just meeting Claire for a drink.  I was planning to put up banners and balloons, Claire was making a birthday cake, and we invited others to come along.

On the Saturday night before her birthday, she was in the pub all afternoon while I was working, and I could see her going into a spiral of despair, which leads to arguments.  This was because she was on a downer with the split up of the guy, the fight with Sherrie, her birthday looming (hence why we wanted to do something nice for her), and she had also just been refused membership at the club, because Pat and a few other members had rejected her application.

When I finished my shift, I pulled her aside and warned her I saw her spinning out of control, and as a friend, wanted to let her know her behaviour on Wednesday night could of got her barred if it was another bartender who didn't know her.  She was adament she didn't do anything wrong, and asked why I would just bar her and not the other woman...'Because she didn't do anything wrong Hattie, you were the one doing the goading.'  Hattie said to me 'but you know what she did to me!'  I replied 'thats not the point Hattie, you were drunk and I could see trouble brewing, the woman didn't do or say anything in the pub to goad you.'

This conversation went on back and forth, she still adament she didn't misbehave.  I had her in tears, then in anger with me.  In the end I just walked away.  I was trying to be a good friend and tried to get her to see she is going to get herself into trouble again soon.  Hattie went back to the bar and was talking to another local and was crying on his shoulder.  Sally then went up to her and said she thought it was time she left, that she had too much to drink.  The local then stuck up for Hattie and said she was alright, was with him and to leave her alone.  I walked behind the bar to get my bag to leave, when Hattie  hissed at me....'did you say something to Sally????' 

'No! ' I replied.  I hadn't said a word to Sally about the Wednesday night.  As I retrieved my bag, I asked Sally if she had just asked Hattie to leave.  'Yeah, I know she's been on a bender again, I was told what happened on Wednesday night by my friend, how he wasn't impressed with Hattie the way she was talking to his work colleague, and they left because of her.'

So its not just me noticing it.

The next day, we were supposed to meet Hattie for pre birthday drinks on the Sunday afternoon in the pub (as she didn't know about the Monday celebration).  When I turned up to the pub, Sally asked if I had gotten texts from Hattie the night before.  I hadn't heard from her.  Apparantley she was bad mouthing me to Sally.  Sally really didn't want to listen to her, she's got enough going on with Al dying.  I text Hattie to see if she was coming down and got no reply for about an hour, then she text back to say she was chilling on the sofa and asked who was there. My reply was the people you arranged to have drinks with.  She didn't turn up.

So Monday was her actual birthday.  I spoke to Claire and she said she got a text on the Saturday night asking if they could change the venue for Monday lunch.  Claire ignored it till Sunday afternoon, and asked why, she said it was ok now, they would still meet in the Duck.

So I put up the balloons, banners and a bottle of bubbly all on the bar, Claire turned up with the cake, and half a dozen others showed up.  When Hattie walked in the door, she was totally surprised and embarrassed, and ended up having a lovely day, in tears again, but this time of joy.  She kept thanking me and Claire for organizing it. The day went off without a hitch...until the following weekend.  She then brought the subject up again the night we went bowling, I tried AGAIN to explain I was just trying to let her know how she came across when really drunk.  We eventually agreed to disagree, and I asked her to please drop it, it was well and truly over, and she said she would.

Well, Friday just gone, I got a text from her...she said she'd just spoken to Sally's friend and he said he absolutely had no problem with Hattie that night, dont know what she was talking about!!!  I dont know where that came from then, she text.  I replied 'from Sally.' She then text back that she had sorted things out with Sally also, it was now all settled.  I didn't answer that.

But I am really pissed off with the whole thing.  Hattie is the type of person who can't let things go, she thinks she is always right.  And she will confront anyone about it, and she comes across very intimidating.  She confronted the guy I said that she went too far with the racist joke....he said he wasn't offended.  I tried to tell her he didn't say he was offended, just she went a bit too far.

Now she's confronted Sally's friend.  He told Sally he left the bar because of Hattie.  Now Hattie has confronted him, he's back peddled, to keep the peace, and says he had no problem with her!!!!

Grow some fucking spines people!!!!!!  If you don't tell her she doesn't know!!!!!  I tried to help the girl, and all it's done is make me look like I made it all up!!!!

I don't know why I bother, and wont anymore.  I'll just watch her self destruct and hope to not get hit by the shrapnel....AGAIN!

12 chinese whispers:

Jonathan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jonathan said...

Ugh, I know people like this, well, knew people. It came to the point I could not deal with them anymore. I do hope the best for her and hope that she realizes what she is doing to herself.

DJ Kirkby said...

That is the worlds longest post ever! Stay away from that woman, you don't need the hassle. x

Vi said...

Jonathan, yeah I should just walk away.

DJ - imagine if I hadn't of done it in two parts!

Fat Controller said...

Holy crap Vi! The woman is a disaster looking for somewhere to happen. I know it goes against your nature to turn your back on a mate, but she sounds like bad news. I think those of you who know her best need to get together and agree between yourselves not to take seriously anything she says or alleges. Probably the best thing you can do is to keep a safe distance but let her know you are there for her when she finally comes to the realisation that things are going out of control for her

Rach said...

Wow, Vi, what a load of crap to go through. I truly admire you for supporting her, but maybe she just needs to get to the bottom before she can rise back up to the top.

Just ensure she doesn't take any of you down with her..x

Joanna Cake said...

Some people are just trouble and alcohol acts like a blue touch paper. All you can do is try to look out for her but don't put yourself in harm's way in the process x

Fire Byrd said...

You could always video her and play it back when she's sober, cause if that doesn't work as a wake up call nothing will. And you need to protect yourself here.
xx

Indi said...

Slap her in the face with a wet fish.... or treat her like a spoiled child, ignore her just walk away.... OR chuck a bucket of cold water over her... ;)

Random Musings said...

OMG I thought I had lost you!! i have not been able to find the link to your blog!!

You have been in my thoughts lately because of AC (I used to read daily way back in the day)

As for Hattie, I agree that others need to grow some balls and tell her whats shes really like it sucks you have to play the bad cop

Hardin said...

I think you bother because you are good-hearted and trying to be a friend, but some people either don't understand that or, more likely, feed off the attention their behavior brings them. Best to stay away--not that it's going to be easy.

Brennig said...

Stone me, what a mixup of crap. You know you need to look after yourself first and foremost, right?