CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, March 12, 2010

Getting you up to speed...

Thanks for the support guys in welcoming me back to blogland!



I've become too addicted to Facebook, and need a better outlet for things I can't say on there, and start the town gossiping up again (and stop playing bejewelled constantly!).



What has changed in my life since I've been away?



Not much.



Still single, still run my business, still work at the pub. I've had to take up more shifts at the pub as my ex has been made redundant and until he gets another job, I have to scrape up some more money to pay for all the holidays I have planned this year....Glasgow, Florida, Amsterdam, Oz, NZ and New York.



The bonus to this, is I'm in the centre of gossip world!



I'll start off with Al, the owner of the pub, the Duck. Ooooo, I'm remember the old names, how exciting!



I've been working at the Duck for two and a half years now, I do enjoy the social side of it (not so much the cleaning, I'm still mucky pup who hates cleaning!). For those of you who remember, Al is named that because he's an alcoholic. In the summer last year, he's been getting worse, his eyes had turned yellow and he just looked terrible. We started having bets he wouldn't last till the end of the year.



Surprise surprise, he went into hospital in November. I was going to Oz for Christmas, so went to visit him in hospital, thinking it may be the last I saw him. When I walked into his ward with co-worker Mac (and neighbour) I was shocked at the state of him. If you put a telly in his belly and an antenna on his head, he looked like Laa Laa from the Telitubbies! Absolutely bright yellow all over. He was very subdued, but did recognized me and Mac and happy to see us. When we left, I tucked him into bed and kissed him on the cheek and said goodnight, as if he was a child. When we left, Mac nearly broke down. He's known Al for years, and has visited him in hospital before when he was drying out, but had never seen him this bad.



So off I went to Oz for three weeks, and when I returned, I found out Al was out of hospital and back in the pub. I saw him New years eve and gave him a massive hug and said 'I'm so happy to see you, I never thought I would again.' I couldn't help myself, I was really surprised to see him. He looked at me bewildered and said 'Why?' I didn't reply just babbled on about my trip.



The next time I saw him, he was just wondering around the pub, not capable of actually doing anything, still not very coherent, not recognising some people, with all the drugs he was on. But his partner Sally made sure he got dressed and come down stairs in the morning. Al would just sit by the fire for the morning. Sally would then make him have his lunch, then he would go back upstairs. He didn't enjoy doing this because punters would try to talk to him and he was in such depression from the steroids, he didn't particularly want to speak to anybody.



This happened for a couple of weeks, then one day he couldn't get out of bed. Sally called the ambulance and he returned to hospital. Sally was still acting as if he was going to be fine. After a couple of weeks, he returned again. There's nothing anymore the hospital can really do, his liver is irreparable. So he just lays in bed all day, with nurses visiting regularly.



Sally and Al have been together for over twenty years but never married. The pub is Al's and is worth about a million pounds. So when Al dies, Sally will inherit it but will have to pay taxes of 40% because of what it is worth.



So a few weeks ago, Sally told me she was waiting on a call from the registrar. She was finally admitting Al was going to recover this time, and had a letter from the doctor saying Al is terminal. She spoke to the registrar the next morning, and was married that afternoon in Al's bedroom. She made their youngest son come home from the weekend to see his dad, because she didn't know how long he was going to last. Surprisingly, he pulled through and picked up a little.



Tuesday just gone, he went back to hospital again. When punters ask how Al is, I tell them the truth...you aren't going to see him downstairs again.



So now we have bets on that he won't last till Easter. Lets hope he proves us wrong, but it's not much of a life, just lying in bed all day in pain. I feel sad that he is like this, as I really do like the guy, but he brought it on himself. All at the age of 55.

18 chinese whispers:

Ken Duck Geraths said...

It is sad to watch some one go in this way, I watched my mom slowly waste away till she finaly passed, she died from cancer but its still a terrible way to go like that.

Fat Controller said...

This is very sad. He didn't look at all well when we visited either. It's a tribute to the staff that the pub keeps going as a bustling and friendly place despite everything.

Mel said...

*sigh* Yaknow, I'm glad he was able to perk up, even that small bit, for his day with Sally.

I send prayers to Al and Sally....and the kiddo involved. It's a painful thing to watch a life being destroyed.

DJ Kirkby said...

It's supposed to be a horrible way to die too. Nice to see you back. My life is incredibly hectic so not sure how frequently I'll be able to get here for a catch up but I'll be round whenever I can!

Vi said...

Ken no its not very nice to see.

FC - We hold that place together that is for sure. Sally's oldest son has just moved back to give his mum a hand, I've been having fun training him up. I'm writing out intructions as there are some jobs only I know to do, now Al can't do it. And I'm not around all the time!

Mel - Yes, painful for the family, thats for sure.

DJ - They treat dogs better than human, letting them suffer, knowing nothing can be done. I wouldnt do that to a dog and dont think it should be the same for humans!

Troy said...

Hi there! Having never met Al, I read this in quite a detached manner until I got to the last sentence. One year older than me - made me stop and think!

Diva's Thoughts said...

Wow! He's very young. It's sad to see someone suffer like this.

BTW - Your text color should be changed from whit to black. We can't read your blog unles we select all the text with our mouse.

So glad you are back!!!!

Grump said...

Hi again. Two years younger than me. Drink the bloody drink.
Woof x

Vi said...

Troy - yeah,and all he did different from you was drink copious amounts of alchohol a day.

diva - I dont understand, it's a black background with white writing, if I change it to black, you wouldn't read it. Anyone else having troubles reading it?

Grump, go see if you can catch with him lol!

Kahless said...

Hi VI, GREAT to see you back. I guess you got bored of whipping everyone's asses at Scrabble on FB.

btw, it would help if you dont post in white font!

xx.

Kahless said...

Oh btw,
if you want an update from me, my depression is finally gone, gone gone! And I got a promotion at work! I dont post much myself but I dip in and out to see how everyone is doing.

Ken Duck Geraths said...

The white is fine against the black I can read it a mile away.

Spiky Zora Jones said...

hiiiiii baby. Funny world. I was just thinking about you this past Monday.

steph has decide to stop blogging and I think she is gone this time for sure. i'll miss her...

funny world. Then you come knocking on my door. You made me smile when I was sad.

I missed you so much...YAY! you're back.

later honey. xxx

Kahless said...

Oh, I have white on white. I had to highlight the font to read it.... oh well, obviously me!

Spiky Zora Jones said...

hi babe. sorry...I forgot to say that I was sorry to hear about Al's sickness.

later hon. xx

Grump said...

I don't have any difficulty reading the white on black. I have a laptop maybe the screen is different on these things.
Woof x

Vi said...

Kahless - yay!!!! I'm so glad to hear you are doing well!!!! I don't know why some people get a white background and some get a black??? I haven't changed anything with the blog.

Spiky - i was really surprised to see you still blogging, i thought you were gonna quit, so glad you hadn't!

Ken/Grump - yeah, I dunno what is going on, will do next post in green and see if that's better for others. Next post in half hour...i'm on a roll! lol!

nitebyrd said...

Welcome back, Trix! So sorry to hear about Al.