CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Going about it all the wrong way...

In the UK, they have really been pushing healthy eating in the schools, with them providing more healthy options in the canteens, getting the children to fill out food charts to see if they are eating their five a day etc.

But when it comes to the cooking classes, that's where they fall down.

Pickle, my oldest son, started high school last September.  We have a brand new Campus that was built in our town about 4 years ago.  It is state of the art and I was very impressed with it.  The three favourite rooms that Pickle liked the most (and me) was the music room with individual sound booths so they can record their music (he takes after his father there).  The canteen, where no money is accepted, I put his lunch money in an account online, and Pickle just gets his thumb scanned so there is no bullies stealing kids cash or stealing their cards. And the cookery class room.  They have individual cooking stations, even with a computer attached to each to show step by step recipes!

Pickle said he wants to be a Chef like his cousin. So I was looking forward to what came out of those classes.

So far, the first was fruit salad.  Ok, no cooking involved, but teaches them to cut up fruit, and is very healthy.  Then came rock cakes and pizza, and last week, flapjacks.

Now something else that gets my goat, is the kids have to take in their own ingredients.  Now I don't bake, because I like to live a healthy diet, after all, it's my business.  So I have to buy ingredients I don't use, for just a little of it to be needed! Have you ever tried packaging up a PINCH OF SALT???? It cost me £10 for the ingredients for the bloody flapjacks....since when have strawberries and white chocolate been some of the ingredients?  Why can't these ingredients be purchased by the school, and charge us for what is used?

So Pickle went off with the ingredients for these flapjacks. Instead of taking just the 50g of golden syrup, he took the whole brand new tin with him.

When he came home, he told me the flapjacks were ruined because the teacher's aid who greases the paper didn't put enough butter on it, and you couldn't remove the paper from the flapjack.  When I went into the kitchen to inspect them, I found Pickle hadn't place the lid back on the syrup tin and the entire tin had leaked all over the container the flapjacks were on and leaking out of the bag!  Not one drop was left in the tin.  After cleaning it all up I inspected the flapjacks to see what could be salvaged.  Pickle was right, you couldn't remove the paper...and they were BURN'T!!!!  I asked him why they burnt, as they shouldn't be in a timed cooking class.  He said he had to place his in the top part of the oven as he was sharing it.  So of course they burnt!  Well THAT was a waste of £10, you couldn't even eat any of it!!!

What I'm really disgusted about, is all these kids seem to do is bake, and nothing else.  These sort of foods they shouldn't be learning, because they are fattening and shouldn't be included in an everyday diet!  I spoke to another mum who has teenagers in the same school, and she said over the years, it doesn't get any better, they still keep baking and not much else.

These kids should be learning to make dishes like a stir fry, or an omelette!  Everyday meals that's quick and easy and healthy for them.

It's great the school SERVE healthy options, but they are falling down with TEACHING them how to make them. 

This isn't going to help obesity in children, because they aren't being taught to cook properly and just enticing their sweet tooth.

15 chinese whispers:

Unknown said...

Wow.
Pretty damn interesting girl! :D

do you want to become a teacher or something ? :D

Hugs xx <3

Vi said...

I am a teacher in a way SA. I teach adults how to eat healthily and lose weight.

WELCOME by the way!

Diva's Thoughts said...

First off, I am extremely impressed with the fact that the schools uses a thumb print to validate the students account balance for lunch! Love that! I wish we had that here in the States.

Secondly, I love the fact that they have computers attached to the stoves to show the recipes step by step. Love that!

Thirdly, I am so with you on being upset that they are not teaching the kids how to cook healthy meals. If you are going to serve healthy meals, promote a healthy eating lifestyle then why in the devil are you not TEACHING these kids how to cook these types of meals? Oye vey!

Indi said...

I used to hate school dinners! The peas were like bullets, the custard was too yellow, the gravy was lumpy.. with these hidious meals how could any of the children grow up with good eating habits. Also how could we/they concerntrate with such crap food in their bellies? I'm all for healthy eating.. tonight we are having Indian Takeaway, very healthy lol x

Fat Controller said...

We have only positive experiences from over here: both kids went to boarding schools where the emphasis was on healthy, low-fat, nutrition. s part of the curriculum, all the kids spen a week of each school year in the kitchens, alongside the catering staff, actually preparing the meals for the whole school.

When our daughter cooks for us it is most often stir fry with lots of fresh veg, and it's always delicious!

Hardin said...

I wonder if one reason the schools are emphasizing oven use is safety. Stir-fry involves heating oil in an open pan, which can splatter when vegetables are added (particularly if they're cold). True, you can burn yourself removing a hot pan from the oven, but perhaps the school thinks it can supervise that better.

You're very right about teaching healthy cooking and eating habits, though. Grilling and stir-frying minimize fat content and maximize flavor (or, as it's spelled over there, flavour). There ought to be some way to teach these methods without risking third-degree burns.

Brennig said...

Did you see the article that said the children's grades improved where Jamie Mockney Oliver did his cooking in schools thing?

Spiky Zora Jones said...

Vi: hi honey. baking only sweets is not so great. Other foods should be applied. My oldest has watched and he now cooks. he's a teen ready to be a chef. he has good ideas too.

my friend brought in a bag of cookies her daughter made...um, they were oaatmeal and raisin cookies and really hard. The Canadians would love these for those hockey games...

The school sounds cool though. I love the idea about...no money, but the bullies would starve huh? :)

later sweetie.
xxx

Rach said...

I agree Vi about the waste of money for you, don't they realise some people are single mothers and £10 would feed you all for a damn site longer then burnt flapjack. They should surely have some funding to assist this..x

Lady in red said...

Thanks for your best wishes Vi

I was going to ask you to give me the link to your blog again as I had lost it so now I have it.

As for the school cookery classes I totally agree with you about not only the kind of things they make (at our school it isn't all baking but it isnt healthy either.) But I hated the lists of ingredients that they were issued were never things that I had at home and its impossible to buy half or quarter of something. How do you send a teaspoon of vegetable oil to school.
I did suggest to JA that he could get together with some of his friends ans share the ingredients so that we didn't all buy the same things. Divide the ingredients between 3 or 4 parents to buy enough for those 3 or 4 children but of only 3rd or qtr of the total ingredients but my idea wasnt taken any further.

I am just relieved that those frantic late night trips to get the ingredients are now a thing of the past.

Fire Byrd said...

An alternate arguement goes on round here as although they are making the same stuff as Pickle they school is providing the ingredients and the parents are up in arms about the children not really learning what goes into the food....
Seems there is an agenda of disgusting stuff been made by school children for ever. Which is why I let my kids loose in my kitchen and they are both great cooks now.
xx

Young Werther said...

I remember making hamburgers in cookery... wasn't paying too much attention, merely an excuse to attend a class with girls!

Jackie Adshead said...

Can't you have a word with whoever is in charge of the classes? Would they listen to your comments and made some adjustments? Or perhaps the other way around it is for you to teach your sons about cooking other things (like stir fry)at home, so they have a healthy knowledge of other things they can eat (which I'm sure you do anyway, as its your business!).

Do they bake savoury things at school as well - like lasagne? or a cassarole? What about preparing a salad or making a roast dinner? Or soup! It's all within their capabilities, I'm sure, with help.

Troy said...

When I was a kid, only girls did Cookery and it was called "Domestic Science". Meanwhile, while they were cooking, we'd be doing woodwork or metalwork. So I never cooked anything but I did make a folding coat hanger.
On reflection, I think cooking lessons would have been more useful, as now I've no idea how to make paper coated flapjack.

Mel said...

*laughing* I'm too amused by Troy's remark....

Honestly--ya'll must do something right cuz himself is the bestest little cook on the planet!

Yeah, well....that's probably his mother's fault. LOL