Well, just as I say nothing interesting is going on in town, something DOES happen, and I didn't even find out about it till after I blogged last night!
Just after I posted, I checked Facebook to see one of the kitchen hand had mentioned work was closed and he had the night off. I didn't know if he was talking about the pub or not because I don't know if he only works at the pub, and thought I would here about it if it was shut. Then I recalled a status from Milly she and Caz, the Chef, had the day off and were on the piss all day (yes, she is 7 months pregnant!). I replied to the other guys status if he meant the pub, as I was panicking, thinking Al had finally died (he's still in hospital, hasn't been good all week) and nobody had told me! He replied back saying the pub had flooded. What a relief to find out it wasn't Al. I would be mortified if I found out he had died via Facebook.
I then went across the road to see Mac who would know what was going on.
On Wednesday night, when I was working, I went to change a barrel, and heard water trickling. I thought someone had left the tap on, I could here the pump working to drain the water out of the cellar. It wasn't the hose leaking. I felt the walls and they were wet, as was the floor where the water was running down into the sump. The pub was rammed, and I didn't have a chance to go upstairs and tell Sally water was somehow coming in through the walls. She came downstairs at closing and I took her down into the cellar to show her. By then, you could just hear a slight trickle, but couldn't figure out exactly where it was coming from. She thought it was the pubs drains blocked above and that was what was causing it. I left the pub, with her checking the drains outside, her son (who's moved back in to help running the pub with Al dying) was in the cellar.
Apparently, not longer after I left a bit of the wall broke away and water just started pouring in. At Midnight they were ankle deep. Sally called the drainers or whoever, some independant company, who turned up at 1am, and did what they could, draining the cellar, and charged her £500, but couldn't actually fix the problem. They didn't get to bed till 5am, and were up at 7am to see what was happening as it was raining. The cellar was flooded again, and stank, sewerage was even coming through. They then rang the water company, who finally turned up at 1pm. All the male staff stuck around taking buckets of water out of the cellar to try and stop it from causing much damage. It wasn't just the cellar, Sally's house next door garden had also flooded. So had the little steet with some businesses in them next door to that.
The water company had discovered the main drains on the High street had blocked, causing the overflow. They said they fixed it, pumped out the cellar, and Sally could finally open the pub. She decided not to serve food in the evening, because the place still smelt of sewerage.
Then it came pelting down about 4pm....and guess what...the cellar filled up again! So the punters who had come in for a drink, were down in the cellar with the staff, trying to get the water out, but it was filling up faster then they could bail it out. They closed and waited for the water company AGAIN! They finally turned up about 8pm, and finished emptying the cellar and fixing the drains at about 11pm.
Poor Sally and her Son could finally rest, after only getting two hours sleep in the 24 hours, and not even eating till Caz turned up at about 10pm with a takeaway for them.
So I wasn't quite sure what state the pub would be in when I arrived at work this morning. The cellar was slimy but at least dry. I asked her about compensation from the water company. She said they would compensate by giving some free months of water and sewerage fees (she pays £300 a quarter) but only enough to pay for the damage of the cellar (the wall and replacement of the pump), but not for the £500 she paid for the call out fee of the independent company that first came out, because apparently she should have called them first. Now Sally didn't know it was the main town drain that had blocked, she just thought it was the drain at the back of the pub which is just above the cellar! (as this had been blocked before)
I told her she should dispute this plus be compensated for loss of earnings for the pub being shut. At least give her a year of free service.
So we are hoping the problem has definitely been fixed this time...but it hasn't rained (heavily) since last night...but the clouds are looming out there!!!!!
Substack is bad
5 weeks ago

13 chinese whispers:
Do NOT hire the guys who did my drywall...not that they'd fly over the ocean...
As for learning via facebook when my friend passed away last year a former friend of ours went through her entire FB friends list to tell everyone she had passed away. INCLUDING her boss. Classy. There's a reason why former precedes friend with that one. Did I mention she then friended everyone? Class. Class. Class.
Oh hey...floods such the big one. It happened to me when i was renting a house once...while I was at a football game. When we came home water was flowing from the front door...
glad it wasn't your boss sweetie...Crackbook is a terrible place to find that out...
later sweets. have a great weekend. xx
Hope the pub is sorted. And work is back to normal rather than accompanied by a bucket!
xx
As the man says, shit happens!
Somehow that could only happen in an English pub - Staff and customers rolling up their sleeves to bale it ourt!
Oh dear, how hectic. Brilliant post though, really enjoyed reading it.
I like the teamwork!
I do NOT like the flooding. Here's hoping for no more rain..wow...
Drop me a note, honey. It's good to see you out here again!
OK so now I have you on my blog list ;)
Indi x
wow, that was some night, I know the feeling though, when your on call, it aint nice for either parter, thats what we call really being in the shit, pardon the pun,
When the floods hit Hull two years ago my friends pub was flooded i.e. nearly up to waist height inside.
The subsequent closure for a week complete with a dodgy builder who ran off with all her insurance money before finishing the work resulted in her losing this time last year.
Hope they get sorted quickly and yes they should fight the water company for loss of earnings because that was the immediate downfall for my friend, losing a weeks takings and then trying to get the customers back.
I think there will be a lot of this happening in the next few weeks due to all the hard frosts we've had over the winter freezing underground pipes and now the water's got to go somewhere, so it seeps out where it can.
Its really bad for a pub business though, as people want a quiet drink and nice food, not to be bailing out the cellar every time they visit! The water company should compensate the landlord though, but it may take a few months and a lot of pushing, to actually get anything!
have a great easter x
Post a Comment