CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, April 16, 2010

A show that brought me to tears...

After the night of meeting Nitebyrd and Mulder, I took the boys to Seaworld.  I have been to the Oz one on the Gold Coast many times, and was looking forward to see where it all started.  After our fantastic day at Discovery Cove, I was happy to see more sealife, as if I had a choice, I'd love to live in the ocean.

On first arriving, I wanted to make sure we saw the shows before the rides, as I hear they are brilliant.

Pickle wasn't very happy about this, because he wanted to hit the newest ride, the Manta.  He wasn't impressed when I made him pose for a photo in front of the ride, as he desperately wanted to be on it!




So we went to the first show, Blue Horizon, the dophin and whale show.  The boys wanted to sit in the splash zone, I didn't because I wanted to take photos without damaging the camera!  So I left them down the front, and moved up a bit higher to get a good view. 

There is a part in the auditorium where they reserve seats for VIP's.  I sat in the row above it.  It was totally empty until a group came along with a Seaworld chaperone.  I heard her tell the family that they had the whole row to themselves so could spread out.  I gathered from what I heard and saw it was the mother, father, grandmother, grandfather and two children.  One seemed to be asleep in her father's arms.  The chaperone said she would help if she could to carry her, she looked about 4 years old.  I thought she was just having a kip.  I heard the mother say the child needed to lay down, which the chaperone said of course.  I then heard the grandmother cussing the other child (a toddler) from breaking her glasses, and got up and left with the toddler, very annoyed.  Then I saw the mother get up to see where they were at...

....and I noticed on her shirt was a badge...saying 'Make a wish foundation.' 

The show was just starting, and I looked at what I thought was a sleepy small child, when I saw her being propped up by her father, and she looked extremely ill, and was probably more like 10.  She hardly had any life in her and forced herself to sit in her father's arms and watch the show, her eyes all watery, as if she really didn't feel well enough to be there.  The dad was stroking her hair.

As the show started, my eyes welled, and a sob was choking in my throat. This poor little girl was here on a wish because her life wasn't going to last much longer. 

The show was spectacular, but all I could think of was this little girl in the row in front of me. It made me realise how lucky I am to have two healthy children, and really appreciate life. I think I enjoyed the show even more because of this, watching it all through tears.

 
Afterwards we then went and watched the Shamu show 'Believe' with the killer whales.  Once again, an awesome sight.



Then the next show was the Seal one, very funny and entertaining.

I'm still not sure if the pink think was a massive seal or a Walrus!!!  It didn't have tusks like this one!


So after seeing some other sea creatures, we finally hit the rides, and the Manta was certainly well worth the wait! First time I've been on a roller coaster where you are facing down!!! Brilliant!

So over all, the day was great, although Pickle was in a strop for half of it.  I chose Seaworld as a themepark to visit, because Dill doesn't like roller coasters, but loves sea animals, so we could get both in one day. I asked the boys what their favourite shows were.  Mine was the Dolphin, Pickle loved Shamu, and Dill's was the seals.  So it's good that all shows suit different people! There was still plenty we didn't get to see as only there for about 7 hours, and would definitely visit it again.

11 chinese whispers:

Young Werther said...

That was sad.. hope she wasn't in pain during the show.

Gumpher said...

I'm with Dill. You've got two hopes of getting me on a rollercoaster, Bob Hope and no hope.

Joanna Cake said...

I hate rollercoasters!

It's great that these organisations can make the lives of such sick kids as much fun as possible and it really makes you thank your lucky stars for your own good fortune to have healthy children.

Vi said...

YW - that's the thing, she did look in pain, the poor little beggar.

Gumpher - you wuss! lol.

Jo - oh so true, thank my lucky stars every day.

Ordinary Girl said...

Much as we may moan and groan there is no denying that we are far more blessed than many many others. I am soooo jealous of your fabulous holiday though - ungrateful cow that I am :-)

Indi said...

Vi ~ I love roller coasters, the faster the better.. could the pink thing be an albino seal? just a passing thought. Wicked photos, the whale looks pretty tame but I think not .. am I right? Is he the star of 'free willy?'

Indi

xx

Vi said...

Og - you wouldn't want my credit card bill, believe you me!

Indi - No it's not the same Orca, even though you think it was with the same limp fin. he's actually quite smaller than i thought!

Gumpher said...

Still up Vi ?

DJ Kirkby said...

Awww this post brought tears to my eyes :(

Vi said...

Sorry Gumpher, was but at my neighbours house!

DJ it was a sad sight.

Jackie Adshead said...

That was so sad about the little girl, and added a deeper poignancy to the show for you because your boys are well. Awwww.

It's awesome to see these marine animals interact with humans isn't it - very touching their commitment to each other!