CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, April 22, 2010

On my way to the land of Tulips...

Urgh....I'm knackered.  I've still got to tell you what happened over the weekend, with one of my neighbours having a party, but I'll go into it another time.  I've also got a meme to do given to me by DJ Kirby, but that will have to wait till next week as well.

I've been working like a dog between clients and the pub, and have a short break to tell you where I'll be over the weekend.

AMSTERDAM!!!!!

For awhile there, I didn't think I was going to make it with the stupid ash cloud hanging around the UK and Europe for the last week.  My friend Joie, who I'm meeting who's travelled from New Zealand was also stressed out we wouldn't make it or she would get back to NZ on Sunday.

But suddenly, the flight ban was lifted on Tuesday evening.  Hurrah!!!

I just have on the news and now there is a massive dispute on who should pay the bills of the stranded travellers who paid out a lot of money on hotel and alternative travel.  The law says the airlines should pay, the airlines said the government should compensate them.

I'm with the airlines.  It was the government who made the flight ban last so long, when the ash cloud ended up being safe to fly in.  The airlines were trying to tell the government for days, as they were sending out test planes coming back with no damage. 

We can't let our airlines go bust over this.  What's also going to happen now, are flight prices are going to go through the roof for them to try and recoup some money.

And what ALSO gets my goat, is how the hotels have doubled or TRIPLED their prices in the areas effected. As did Eurostar.  I looked at them about maybe getting a train to Amsterdam, and they wanted to charge £400!  The maximum they normally charge is £200 (normal price if book in advance is £80).

Of course the hotels expect the people will be getting it refunded by the airlines, which may end up bankrupting some of them.

I think the hotels, trains, coaches and ferries who charged more than usual to line their pockets out of a NATURAL DISASTER, should be made to be refund that difference.   It's not the airlines fault what happened!

Well, time to get off my soap box.  I've got to go back to work, then pack for my trip tomorrow, as I'll be heading off to the airport as soon as I finish my lunch shift at the pub.

I'm just thankful that I arrived back from Florida the day before all this happened, and the airports opened in time for me to go to Amsterdam to spend a fun weekend with Joie, her boyf and Fee (who's coming with me!). I lead a charmed life! (she's says with fingers crossed that that remark didn't just jinx the trip!)

Ciao people! (Don't know seeya in Dutch!)


This Tulip is in my garden!

14 chinese whispers:

BenefitScroungingScum said...

Hope you get there and back without any hassles and have a fabulous time! BG Xx

Gumpher said...

Are you sure you're not royalty?

You seem to be taking more holidays than the Queen at the moment!

Not that I'm jealous, oh no indeed.

Have a great weekend and lay off the weed!

Fire Byrd said...

Just don't go sitting around in the red light district....
And I hope your bed is better than the one I had last year in this godforsaken hotel, it stunk of dope and cigs and I don't do either so really yucky.

Vi said...

So do I Bendy!

No Gumpher, not royalty, although I do wish I had their bank account!

Oh FB, no grotty hotel for us! We are staying on a very cool house boat!

Indi said...

Vi ~ free spliff n a coffee eh? Sight seeing in the evening on a river bus, red light district for some sex... on a more sombre note, Anne Franks house for a peep? have a superb time.. am off to Whitby next Friday until the Monday .. on two wheels, no red lights but Dracula may appear? (as if Lol)


Indi

x

nitebyrd said...

Enjoy your trip!

We thought about how lucky you were to have left right before the volcano erupted but if you hadn't got out y'all could have stayed with us!

We have laws here in FL now that anyone caught price gouging after a hurricane will be prosecuted. Good thing since some stores were charging over $10 for a bag of ice after one of the storms! Those hotel owners should be ashamed of themselves!

Troy said...

Itis not the government that actually would pay....its you and I (the taxpaying mugs). This government just make the mistakes, like suddenly the ash cloud stops being dangerous. Apparently the real hero is the boss of British Airways who sent 26 planes flying back to the UK and the government had to decide whether to turn them away or decide the ash cloud was actually safe.
I'll let you have your soapbox back now!
Enjoy Amsterdam!

Vi said...

Indi - ooohhh...have fun in Whitby. i remember having sex in a car there lol!

Nite - I'm sure Mulder would have loved that having both of us under the same roof lol. Shame it wasn't the same for volcanic ash, as the US hotels also did the same!

Troy, yeah, I know we would pay in the end, but to help the airlines out yeah?

Spiky Zora Jones said...

Isn't it just people...trying to make an extra buck off people that have no choice but to pay the price they doubles or tripled.

Tulips are my favorite flower. Have fun in the land of the tulips.

xxx

Diva's Thoughts said...

I feel really bad for all those people that were stranded because of that ashe cloud. That really sucked.

Fat Controller said...

Hope you have a really good time in Amsterdam, hope we get the promised warm weather.

Ash clouds are no laughing matter. Just google 'BA009' to read a terrifying account of how a British Airways 747 lost all four engines over Indonesia after flying into volcanic ash. Only the skills of the flight crew averted a major disaster as many of their instruments were put out of action and they were flying blind because the windscreen had been so sandblasted that it was opaque.

Jackie Adshead said...

Have a fabulous time in Amsterdam - full of fabulous art, tulips (which will be in full bloom whilst you're there, I bet!), sex and drugs. Yep, think you'll have a great time one way or another!!!

The government was overly cautious about the ash cloud, as they didn't want anyone suing them if a plane had been affected by it. Having said that, any compensation will be causing arguements about who's gonna pay it to who! But, one way or another, we'll all end paying it to someone!!!!!!!!!

DJ Kirkby said...

Do you EVER just stay at home and chill out?

Mel said...

Go go go go go.....sheeeeeshhhh.

I get tired just watching you! LOL

Enjoy.....and then maybe a bit of down time where 'nothing' is involved?

Safe journey!!