So on our last day, we finally did a Disney park.
Now you may think I'm mad going all the way to Orlando, the HOME of Disney and only visiting one park for one day. The reason why I did this, was because we did Disneyland Paris 4 years ago, and weren't that keen on it. The boys actually said Legoland was better. But you can't go all the way there and NOT go to Disney! To do all the parks would have cost me the same price to do Discovery Cove, so I though that would be mroe money worthy, which it certainly was!
I let Pickle chose the park, which was Magic Kingdom, the main one. The reason why, was because when we went to Disney Paris, he was too small to do Space Mountain.
So off to the Kingdom we went.
So what did we think?
Very old and outdated.
What I did like about it was the free 'fastpass'. Other parks you need to pay extra. Here, you can chose a ride and they will give you a time you can go on it without having to queue for hours. This made it more bearable. So we did the major and small rides, and was nice, but some were just...boring...like the swiss family robinson tree and Tom Sawyers Island. My kids don't even know these stories.
We left Space Mountain till last, having two hours to kill before our fast pass was due. Tomorrow land was the best part of the park, most updated with Toy Story, Monster Inc and Stich (from Lilo and Stitch) which were all awesome. So when our time finally came, we went to Space mountain...to find the ride was closed because it had broken down!!! So we had to kill some more time hoping it would be up and running again. Pickle was in tears because that's the only reason why he wanted to visit the kingdom. So we walked about and decided to go on the Peter Pan ride...only to find out the queue that was supposed to be only 15 minutes, took us over an HOUR! Because guess what? It also had broken down, but didn't bother to tell us. We finally got back to Space mountain to find it still closed...but just as we walked up it re-opened and we RAN to get on it! Now as I mentioned before, Dill doesn't like roller coasters. He did go on the mountain train one because it doesn't go upside down and thoroughly enjoyed it. So we didn't tell him this was a roller coaster, because it was indoors. And because we were RUNNING to get on it, no waiting what's so ever, he had no choice but to hop on..I thought he would be alright because I would sit next to him...
I didnt know till we got to the ride...you sit behin each other. So Dill isn't happy at all, but I make him go on it, know backing out.
This ride shoots off through these flashing tunnels, then most of the ride is in total blackness...and Dill just SCREAMED all the way through it! Not a high pitch scream, but like an adult AARRRRGHHHHH!!!.....takes breath....AAAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!...all the way through. I was crying of laughter the entire ride!
Dill didn't seem that traumatised by it all, but refused to go on it again. Which was a bit of ashame, because the last ride we lined up for BROKE DOWN and we were given free fast passes for any other ride. So that's 3 rides that broke down that day!
We caught the 8.50pm bus back to the hotel missing out on the electric parade and fireworks but didn't care, because we saw the exact same thing in Paris, seen one, seen them all.
So I asked the boys out of the 4 parks we went to how they rated them.
We all agreed Discovery Cove was number one, the best by far.
We couldn't agree on Universal and Seaworld, so they tied.
Magic Kingdom came last.
So if you are planning on visiting Orlando, I would recommend spending the money on Discovery Cove instead of the full passes for all Disney parks at the same price. Disney is just too outdated. They need to try and match the other parks to survive. I mean, when was the last time you have even seen Mickey and Co on the telly?
Substack is bad
5 weeks ago

8 chinese whispers:
Man! Things have changd since I was there as a child 100 years ago.
Wow, Disney outdated. The world as I know it has ended :( I've tagged you in a meme. Looking forwad to seeing wha tyou come up with!
Ha! We get Mickey and co on the telly every Friday evening AND on the Saturday morning kids' show, plus you can buy Mickey and Anders And (That's Donald Duck!) comics on any newsstand.
I'm blaming video games for messin' with Mickey Mouse!!
Ah well--it's an adventure they'll not forget. Especially Dill. LOL
Vi, I totally agree with your assessment of Magic Kingdom. Unless you have really little children, it's pointless. I am glad that y'all got to ride Space Mountain, though.
Next time, Busch Gardens! LOL
The Magic Kingdom opened in 1971 and probably still has many of the same rides it had back then.
Disney lives off its history as the premier producer of animated films, but as you said the "classic" ones are getting as outdated as the Brothers Grimm. You know that Disney bought Pixar and Marvel in an effort to stay up to date.
Unless you're a huge Disney fan (there are some), I think if you've seen any of the parks once, twice is probably once too many.
I can't help thinking this year that your blog would be better named "Frequent Escapes From the Bubble Of Blah"
Mmm...Disney is relying on its history to get visitors in, but it must still be good for them, else they'd have to change what they've got. I know they update rides every so often, so that must work for them do ya think?
Post a Comment