CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, May 07, 2010

Corrie just wont be the same anymore...

Sorry I haven't been around blogging all week, I've been rushed off my feet.  I've just been constantly working, been looking after Bloke's 3 children before and after school, plus it was Pickle's 12th Birthday.  Tonight I have 5 boys sleeping over to celebrate it, so will catch up on blogging then when I hole myself away from them all.

In between all this, I did catch up on some  TV soaps.  I was shocked to find a very popular character of Coronation Street, Blanche, had died in the show.  I realised I hadn't seen her on the show for awhile, so googled to find out the actress Maggie Jones had actually passed away at the age of 75 last December.  I was in Oz then so missed the news. 



She was famous for her very acid tongue put downs.  So I thought I would share some of the classic ones she said. 

• Telling Liz McDonald off for leaving her washing all over the sitting room in Ken Barlow’s house: ‘Kenneth
doesn’t want to stare at thongs all day. The man’s an intellectual!’

• On Liz McDonald: ‘Skirt no bigger than a belt, too much eyeliner, and roots as dark as her soul!’

• As Deirdre rejects the proposal of Ken, who had got down on one knee: 'Well if you leave it much longer he won’t be able to get up again!’

• On men’s fashion: ‘I don’t have any truck with tank tops. They’re unmanly.’

• To Deirdre: ‘Good looks are a curse. You and Ken should count yourselves lucky.’

• To Ken when he spots her watching daytime TV: ‘Don’t worry, it’s only Jeremy Kyle, I’ve more or less been living that show this year.’

• To Steve McDonald: ‘That’s the second fiancée to chuck that ring away. You’d be better off buying a boomerang!’

• To her daughter, Deirdre Barlow: ‘You need to learn to enjoy other people’s misfortune; otherwise you’re going to have a very unhappy old age.’

• To Norris Cole, who has just denounced speed bumps as ‘ugly and unattractive’: ‘So are you, but at least they have some use.’


• Deirdre: ‘If you can’t say anything nice don’t say anything at all.’ Blanche: ‘I think I’ll go home then.’

To Norris Cole, who has just denounced speed bumps as ‘ugly and unattractive’: ‘So are you, but at least they have some use.’


• Deirdre: ‘If you can’t say anything nice don’t say anything at all.’ Blanche: ‘I think I’ll go home then.’

• To Emily Bishop, who was reminiscing about their childhood and wishing 'I was three again': 'Oh yes.. rickets, TB, rationing, those were the days.'

Maggie, Corrie won't be the same without you xx

10 chinese whispers:

Troy said...

I think she was a bit rude insulting Norris twice with the same put down!

Anonymous said...

LOL I don't know her but funny stuff!

Rach said...

She was a classic and no one will ever replace her wit and one liners...xx

Mel said...

Awwwwww....happy birthday to Pickle! And best of luck with those 5 sleeping over, you poor thing. LOLOLOL

nitebyrd said...

Happy (late) Birthday to the handsome, Pickle! I hope you've had a chance to recover from child sitting, birthdays and work!

I don't know the actress but she sounds like my kind of woman. Yes, it definitely looks like she'll be missed.

Anonymous said...

superb, love the one/two liners, but hated her, lol,

meredic said...

Sad news indeed. But why no word of Norman Painting?

Ceeej said...

The will reading was classic I was almsot crying with laughter. I dislike soaps as a rule but just occasionally, I get caught up in one and that was well worth watching.

Jackie Adshead said...

I don't watch it, or know the character, but these comments are brilliant! I love em - particularly the one about good looks! LOL

Joanna Cake said...

I dont watch it these days but she was always a good character... some of those quotes had me in stitches